Computer Science, University of New South Wales | [email protected]
Hey, I'm Nick. I love solving complex problems, tackling technical challenges, and creating things that improve the lives of those around me.
Over the last few years, I've built a strong relationship with web development, both backend and frontend, learning how to approach infrastructure and scale problems. More recently, I've developed an appetite for low level programming, hardware and integrated solutions, and operating systems.
TwoPi Code - Software Engineer
I am responsible for a significant segment of project planning, design and infrastructure management. I have had great opportunity to be able to work with various cloud infrastructure management tools, including Cloudformation and Terraform. I have introduced code quality measures such as linting and unit tests as well as continuous integration and continuous delivery for most projects.
University of New South Wales - Course Tutor
- COMP1917 (15S1, 16S1) - Computing 1
- COMP2041 (15S2) - Software Construction
- Summer 15-16
Atlassian - Software Engineering Intern
Primarily worked on company wide logging infrastructure. My team ran a large Elasticsearch cluster, allowing other employees to retrieve and analyze logs in real time. I gained broad knowledge of various AWS services as well as an in depth understanding of Elasticsearch and the problems of running it (and many other distributed systems) at scale.
L&J Computers - Technician
Aside from providing IT assistance to customers, during my time at L&J Computers, I developed software to assist with business operations, converting the existing paper based system into a computer based solution for client and job management.
McDonalds - Crew Member
Extremely proficient in the following list of programming languages and frameworks
- Flask (Python)
- React (JS)
- Objective C
- Node JS
A list of projects I am proud of. Including large open source projects I have contributed to, personal products and open source libraries.
See more on GitHub @nickw444
- Extremely comfortable with dev/deployment on Linux (Docker, Docker Compose, systemd, Vagrant)
- Broad knowledge of Linux server systems (Debian/Ubuntu)
- In depth experience with Webpack and browser bundling
- Extremely familiar with infrastructure provisioning tools such as Terraform and Cloudformation
- Extremely familiar with most core AWS services
University of New South Wales
Bachelor of Science (Computer Science). Distinction Average
- HD Computing 1, Computing 2, Software Construction, Computer Graphics, Extension Operating Systems (3rd in cohort, 97/100)
Gymea Technology High School
Completed Information Processes and Technology and Information Technology (VET) one year accelerated, sitting HSC for these two courses in 2012. ATAR: 89.55. School Prefect.
Achievements & Volunteer Work
Information Security Study & Competitions
- 3rd Overall CySCA 2015 - Played for UNSW3 (Team of 4)
- 1st Overall Ruxcon CTF 2015 - Played for UNSW (taytay) (Team of 10)
- 2nd Overall Kiwicon CTF 2015 (NZ) - Played for K17 (Team of 10)
- 1st Overall Trend Micro CTF - Played for K17
- 10th Overall CSAW - Played for K17 (Placed 1st in Australia)
- COMP9447 Reverse Engineering Suid Binaries in Red Star Linux. Found 3 vulnerabilities
- CySCA 2015 Write-ups for CySCA Web Pentest and Corporate Pentest
Available upon request →